Purposes for Which Mac Frugal’s Handles Personal Information
Mac Frugal’s collects and uses personal information for purposes limited to those which are related to its businesses, which include providing furnishings, appliances, electronics, computers, and other products to its customers under rent-to-own agreements, staging services, mortgage brokerage services and financial services. We collect personal information primarily from you, for instance through applications and supporting documentation you provide. We may also collect personal information about you through your ongoing interactions with us, from references, employers and other financial institutions you have identified in your application as well as credit bureaus and other third party sources. For example, we may collect personal information from credit bureaus for the purpose of locating you to collect outstanding debts. In connection with loan agreements, we may also collect personal information from credit bureaus in order to verify your current and ongoing creditworthiness and other information you may provide to us.
We may collect personal information for purposes such as, but not limited to, the following:
• to manage and promote the business activities of Mac Frugal’s;
• to verify identity and other information provided by customers and to determine eligibility for products and services;
• to open, administer and service accounts and loans and to provide and administer any requested products or services;
• to evaluate current and ongoing creditworthiness and other requirements and to determine their eligibility or suitability for products or services offered by Mac Frugal’s;
• to advertise, market and promote Mac Frugal’s products and services to customers who have chosen to receive such communication, including by mail, email and telephone including the use of automatic dialers and announcing devices;
• to establish relationships, provide quality service to and communicate with customers;
• to collect outstanding debts;
• to protect the business interests of Mac Frugal’s and its customers, including to detect and prevent fraud and other unauthorized or illegal activities;
• to maintain business records for reasonable periods to meet legal and regulatory record retention requirements; and
• for other purposes with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
Personal Information Mac Frugal’s Collects
Mac Frugal’s limits the amount and type of personal information collected to that which is necessary for our identified purposes, and we collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
Personal information that we collect includes:
• customer name and contact information, including mailing address, telephone number, fax number and/or email address;
• additional information for identity matching and credit check purposes, such as occupation, name of employer, names and contact information for references, assets, liabilities, income, previous address, number of dependents, Social Insurance Number (if provided), date of birth or driver’s license number;
• information about the account or loan, such as current and historical information, balance and indebtedness, account transaction history and similar information, and records relating to the handling of any inquiries or complaints;
• payment-related information, such as banking information; and
• such other information we may collect with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
Transfers and Disclosures of Personal Information
Mac Frugal’s may disclose personal information in a number of circumstances, including:
• to credit bureaus, credit reporting agencies and to your current or future creditors for the purpose of maintaining your credit history and providing credit references;
• to financial institutions for payment processing purposes;
• to third parties as reasonably necessary:
• to enforce your agreements and contracts with us and otherwise for the collection or payment of a debt owed to us;
• for the purposes of detecting and preventing fraud;
• in connection with audits;
• for the purposes of meeting legal, regulatory, industry self-regulatory, risk management and security requirements;
• unless you withdraw consent, to Mac Frugal’s to offer you additional products and services;
• unless you withdraw consent, to Mac Frugal’s insurance partners or other lenders so that they may offer other products and services that may be of interest to you; and
• for other purposes with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
In addition to the above, personal information may be shared between our affiliates or subsidiaries for internal audit, management, billing or administrative purposes including defending and bringing legal actions.
In the course of fulfilling the purposes described above, Mac Frugal’s may transfer your personal information to service providers, including affiliates or other third party organizations or individuals retained by Mac Frugal’s to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, customer service, office, security, collections, insurance, financial and taxation services. When personal information is transferred to service providers, we use contractual or other means to ensure that a comparable level of protection is provided. Some of our service providers may be located outside Canada and will be subject to applicable legal requirements in that country including lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government authorities in certain circumstances.
Mac Frugal’s may also use and disclose personal information in connection with the proposed or actual financing, securitisation, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets (including your loan or lease and any agreement to which it relates), for the purposes of evaluating and/or performing the proposed transaction. Assignees or successors of our business or assets may use and disclose your personal information for similar purposes as those described in this Policy.
Mac Frugal’s may disclose your personal information as necessary to meet legal, regulatory, insurance, audit, and security requirements, and as otherwise with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
Mac Frugal’s uses safeguards and other security standards to ensure that all personal information in its custody and control is protected against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification, regardless of the format in which the information is held. Safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity, format, location, and storage of the personal information. Only authorized employees, agents, partners and third parties who require access to personal information to fulfill their job requirements will have access to personal information.
Access and Accuracy
Mac Frugal’s may establish and maintain a file containing an individual’s personal information for the purposes described above, which will be accessible at our offices. Individuals have the right to request access to or correction of their personal information that is held by Mac Frugal’s. Requests must be made in writing, addressed to Mac Frugal’s Privacy Officer. We will respond to written requests within a reasonable time. Copies of records containing personal information may be subject to a fee. We will use our best efforts to ensure that personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If an individual successfully demonstrates the inaccuracy or incompleteness of personal information, we will amend the information as required. If we refuse access to personal information or disagree with an assertion that information held by us is incorrect, we will provide a written explanation for such refusal. An individual’s right to access or correct personal information is subject to applicable legal restrictions. To prevent fraudulent access to the personal information stored by Mac Frugal’s, we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
Mac Frugal’s Website’s and E-Mail Communication
Mac Frugal’s does not guarantee the confidentiality of any communications made by you via e-mail or otherwise through our websites. If you wish to provide information of a confidential or sensitive nature to Mac Frugal’s, please contact us directly by telephone to arrange for delivery/transmission of such information by secure means.
In compliance with Google’s advertising policies, we use Google Adwords Search Engine Marketing (Pay Per Click) and Display Advertising (Remarketing and Google Display Network). We use Google AdWords Remarketing in compliance with the Google AdWords Interest-Based Advertising Policy, which means that you may see our advertisements on Google and other third party websites on the internet after visiting our website.
We use Google Analytics for Display Advertising, including Remarketing, Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, Google Display Network Impression Reporting and the DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration. You have the option to opt out of Google Analytics for Display for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads. For all the currently available opt-outs, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
We use the data collected through Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to better understand our website visitors in terms of demographics and interests, to improve our website content in order to cater to our audience, and to customize advertisements based on our audience’s interests and demographics.
In certain circumstances, as permitted or required by law, we may collect, use or disclose personal information without the knowledge or consent of the individual. These circumstances include but are not limited to: personal information that is publicly available as defined by regulation; where collection is clearly in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way; where disclosure is made for the purposes of collecting a debt owed to us; or to comply with a subpoena, warrant or court order.
Inquires or Further Information
Privacy Officer, Mac Frugals,
1328 Barton St. E.,
Hamilton, Ontario, L8H 2W3
If you are not satisfied with our response to a privacy-related matter, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at 1-800-282-1376 or at www.privcom.gc.ca.